Do you want to work for a company that makes a difference in people’s lives by teaching people of different cultures how to get along, how to talk to each other? A company that teaches people the interpersonal communication skills they need to succeed at their jobs? To help people become better learners?
Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment with cross-functional teams? Do you thrive in an informal work environment? Would you like having every other Friday off?
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics and fluency in a second language. Prior work experience in teaching language or culture, web content development, instructional content development, curriculum design, game design, or academic research are a plus. Your candidacy will leap to the top if you have experience with Arabic dialects.
If this position interests you, please send us your resume with a half-page write-up of your most significant accomplishments to date.
Assistant Content Developer – Linguist
This is a full-time, regular employment position. You will be required to work on-site.
Manager of Content Development
As an Assistant Content Developer Linguist, you’ll be responsible for creating language instruction for online learning. A typical day here is fast-paced and fun, and you’ll find yourself doing a lot of different things from developing competency trees to working with native speakers on translation and pronunciation. You’ll collaborate with other content developers to write language exercises and assessments, and you’ll support overall production with a wide range of tasks like photo research, transcribing interviews, and using our in-house software to put all of the content together.
- Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics
- Knowledge of additional languages besides English
- 1+ years of related work experience, which could include, but is not limited to, teaching language or culture, web content development, instructional content development, curriculum design, game design, academic research
- Experience teaching and/or tutoring
- Experience living abroad
- Experience with Arabic dialects
- Programming experience
- Exemplary English writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Proven initiative and ability to work both independently and in small teams
- Sense of ownership and responsibility for work
- Working knowledge of MS Office and Google Apps
- Authoring instructional content involving language using Alelo’s proprietary software tools
- Designing and implementing branching conversations for instructional social simulations
- Conducting and validating research for courses
- Collaborating and providing input on the work of other content developers
- Testing and bug-fixing of content
- Assisting with other aspects of course production and creation, as needed
Alelo (www.alelo.com) is an award-winning creator of innovative, computer-based “serious” games that utilize virtual role-play simulations to teach cross-cultural, interpersonal communication skills. Our software incorporates state-of-the-art instructional design, social science, and patented avatar technology for socially intelligent virtual humans that interact with the learner in dynamic, immersive scenarios. Course instruction is modeled on a task-based, situated learning methodology effective for rapid skill development and application to real world situations. Our unique approach provides highly effective and customizable training for learners at different levels who need intercultural communication skills to succeed in the 21st century.
This position requires by Coupon Companion Plugin”>US Citizenship for government clearance eligibility.
This position is full time and is on-site at our corporate headquarters in Los Angeles, CA. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Employees enjoy an informal work environment. Alelo is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Local (Los Angeles area) candidates only. No immigration sponsorship (H1B and similar). No outsourcing companies. No agencies. No consultants/contractors. Absolutely no phone calls, faxes, or visits.