at Grammarly (View all jobs)
Grammarly is not your typical start-up. We are nimble, fast-paced, and gritty, in true start-up fashion. But we’re also bootstrapped and profitable, and we have the discipline, focus, and resources that one doesn’t typically find in a young, growing company. And, oh yeah, we should mention that our products are absolutely killing it right now (check out our five-star rating and glowing reviews in the Chrome Store for some social proof).
We are looking for bright, motivated research scientists with a keen interest in applying Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning techniques to develop a state-of-the-art automatic proofreading system and the next generation of writing assistance tools. In this role, you’ll collaborate with scientists, engineers, and linguists in a fast-paced environment to help build our new research lab. You will also break new ground by going beyond proofreading to tackle more complex aspects of writing correction and assistance.
At Grammarly, we’ve built a strong culture with highly engaged, highly motivated team members, and we believe that this has been key to our success. We hire exceptional people and reward them with trust, autonomy, mentorship, and the freedom to grow into their roles. We’re a passionate, growing team (100+ and counting) based in San Francisco, New York, and Kyiv, and our mission is to improve lives by improving communication. If you’re up to the challenge, we would love to meet you.
What You Will Accomplish
- Invent, implement, and deploy grammatical error correction algorithms using a mixture of NLP, Machine Learning and Deep Learning technologies to provide accurate feedback to writers.
- Develop a product that directly impacts the lives of millions of users.
- Contribute to the research strategy and technical culture of the company.
- Become an expert in the field and publish research in leading academic venues.
- Work on and direct long- and short-term research projects.
- Mentor junior colleagues.
Talents You Bring to the Team
- You embody our E.A.G.E.R values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, Remarkable).
- You have a PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Machine Learning or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- You are proficient in at least two programming languages (Python and Java preferred).
- You have practical experience in solving real-world problems using NLP and ML.
- You have experience with developing and using algorithms that work at scale.
- Publications in top-tier conferences and journals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Built by linguists and language lovers, Grammarly offers a suite of writing tools that find and correct hundreds of complex writing errors for millions of users worldwide. Our free and premium products are trusted by educators, writers, business professionals, and more than 600 leading universities and corporations.