Expert System Enterprise is currently seeking a Junior Knowledge Engineer (FT- position) to join us in our Rockville, MD office. “Knowledge Engineering” refers to the technical aspects of building and maintaining a knowledge/information management system. The ideal candidate understands the complexities of natural language so that they can effectively create taxonomies, ontologies and write deterministic rules for document categorization and information extraction. This means writing appropriate rules, making predictions about how the rules will perform, generating sentences to test rules, and then quickly understanding what can be done to improve precision and recall. As such, the successful candidate must have a good command of logical reasoning and natural language grammar.
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to use and modify Expert System’s proprietary semantic network: a large and well-curated database of concepts and linguistic properties.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to communicate directly with customers, including demonstrations and trainings, so teaching skills are necessary.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Design customer solutions using Expert System software
- Write complex linguistic rules for categorization and extraction
- Maintain and modify Expert System’s semantic network per client requirements
- Measure accuracy of customized text analytics software with precision, recall, and f1-scores
- Use scripting languages for text processing, formatting and XML parsing
- Train clients and coworkers
- Write technical documentation, answer client questions, deliver software demonstrations
Qualifications and skill requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in linguistics or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a computational linguistics related job
- Understanding of natural language grammar and use
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- First-rate teaching skills
Preferred skills and experience:
- Teaching experience
- Experience with taxonomies and ontologies
- Experience with semantic networks
- Proficiency in a scripting language such as Python