Expert System Enterprise is currently seeking an Intern, for a period of 6 months, to join our Knowledge Engineering team in our Rockville, MD office. “Knowledge Engineering” refers to the technical aspects of building and maintaining a knowledge/information management system. Knowledge engineers use taxonomies, write linguistic rules for document categorization and information extraction, and curate lists of known entities for extraction purposes. The successful candidate must have a good command of logical reasoning and natural language grammar.
Expert System will train the successful candidate to use our proprietary development tools to customize our software for use by customers.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Write linguistic rules for categorization and extraction
- Measure accuracy of customized text analytics software
- Maintain development corpora for rule writing and quality assessment
Qualifications and skill requirements:
- Currently majoring or minoring in linguistics or a related field (computer science students will also be considered)
- Understanding of natural language grammar and use
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred skills and experience:
- Ability to work on a team
- Problem solving
Proficiency in a scripting language such as Python