Community Engagement Associate
Location: Berkeley, CA
Position: Full time, FLSA exempt
Salary: Competitive for small sized Bay Area nonprofits. Salary dependent on experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, and others
Reports to: Community Engagement Manager
Start Date: ASAP. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Deadline to apply is May 1st, 2017.
Our Story: The Story of Stuff Project, a Berkeley-based non-profit organization, works to transform the way we make, use, and throw away Stuff to be more sustainable, healthy and just. Over the past 10 years our trademark animated movies have garnered more than 50 million online views and motivated our Community to support hundreds of environmental and economic justice campaigns with their time, energy, and money.
Today, we inspire and encourage the civic engagement of the more than one million members of our global, online Community. Our videos and social media content engage millions of viewers each week in a solutions-oriented conversation; our campaigns enlist our Community members in efforts to protect our shared resources and make the economy work for everyone; and our learning and other tools support community leaders and grassroots groups in our network build their power.
Position Summary: The Community Engagement Associate is a dynamic entry-level position whose responsibilities will include social media, communications, fundraising, and nonprofit administration. The Engagement Associate will be one of our lead communicators with the million-person-plus Story of Stuff Community. The Associate will curate engaging, solutions-oriented content for the Project’s social media channels; provide customer service for members of Catalog Choice, an online service to reduce paper waste owned and operated by Story of Stuff; and coordinate individual and institutional donor communications. In addition, the Associate will provide organizational development support, including meeting and event logistics, and other nonprofit administration tasks. The ideal candidate is a multidisciplinary Jack/Jill/Jaiden of all trades who has strong communication skills, a learner’s mindset, strong organizational skills, the desire to be part of a nimble, results-oriented team, and a passion for the kind of environmental and social change that benefits diverse communities all over planet.
Social Media & Community Engagement – 50%
- Curate, devise, execute, and post content across all Story of Stuff social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Draft, edit, and program content for regular newsletter, The Good Stuff.
- Manage the organizational email inbox and respond to outreach from the public.
- Collaborate with Community Engagement and Campaigns staff members to align social media strategy with broader engagement cycles.
- Collaborate to draft additional external communications
Fundraising – 25%
- Initiate donor communications, including updates, administer donor thank you letters, and manage recordkeeping in the fundraising database Salesforce.
- Implement special projects and events to steward and cultivate individual donors
Administration – 25%
- Provide customer service responses for Story of Stuff’s junk mail opt-out platform Catalog Choice over phone and email.
- Coordinate meeting logistics for weekly staff meetings, special staff events, biannual staff retreats, and annual board and staff retreat
- Assist with bookkeeping, nonprofit mailings, and administration
- Assist with organizational planning, office space management, and coordination with vendors and partners
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent education / work experience) plus 1-3 years professional experience in environmental or social advocacy, online organizing, social media, and/or customer service, preferably in a non-profit or social-good setting.
- Strong communications skills in copy and creative writing. Graphic design experience is a recommended.
- Must be tech-savvy, a go getter, and comfortable toggling between functions and roles.
- Experience with ActionKit, Salesforce, Quickbooks or a similar databases a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to and competency around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to organize and prioritize assignments and tasks, as well as adapt and react quickly as projects evolve.
- Customer service or sales experience a plus.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, team environment.
How to Apply:
Send an email to Michael O’Heaney, Executive Director, at email@example.com with this specific information in the subject line: Name – Position – Where you heard about the job.
Example: Jaiden Doe – Community Engagement Associate – Idealist
- A succinct cover letter that explains why you want to join our team, including a how you would contribute to our our organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Short writing sample, such as a blog or letter-to-the-editor, or graphic design work sample.