Research Scientist – Higher Education Analytics Center
- Job Description
- NORC at the University of Chicago is seeking a Research Scientist to join the Higher Education Analytics Center (HEAC) within the Education and Child Development (ECD) Department in the Chicago, IL office. The HEAC provides targeted data analysis that informs solutions for higher education institutions, associations, government agencies, and foundations.
The Research Scientist will lead key tasks, reporting to the Project Director within a small team structure across several projects for diverse clients including higher education institutions, non-profit and for-profit companies, foundations, and government agencies. The Research Scientist will be responsible for task leadership on proposals and projects of moderate to high complexity, including quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis; evaluation design and implementation; writing reports, papers, and presentations; questionnaire design and testing; protocol development for qualitative data collection; and data processing and management. The Research Scientist will also support the Project Director with budget and schedule monitoring and other project management tasks.
Because project teams are small, there are many opportunities to learn new tasks and take on additional responsibilities within an existing team structure.
- Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in the social sciences, public policy, education, or a related field, with at least 7 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility in social science research or related field
- At least 3 years of social science project management
- Experience with or strong interest in higher education
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), technical writing experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, processes, and methods of social science research
- Strong understanding of formative and summative evaluation methods
- Strong understanding of SAS, SPSS, STATA, R, or other statistical software (multiple software packages preferred)
- Experience with qualitative research preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience directing junior staff preferred
- Experience in client communications and relationship management preferred
- Experience with proposal writing preferred.
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions.
Since 1941, NORC has conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with NORC to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
A Tradition of Excellence
As one of the oldest not-for-profit, academic research organizations in the United States, and through its affiliation with the University of Chicago, NORC maintains the highest standard of professional excellence and scientific rigor, and is committed to broad dissemination of its findings.
A Passion for Innovation
NORC’s subject matter experts and survey professionals develop and employ innovative study designs, research methods, and technical applications to derive meaningful and accurate results.
A Commitment to Collegiality
NORC cultivates an interdisciplinary culture of achievement in which senior investigators from diverse fields and professional backgrounds collaborate with the next generation of researchers in an open, collegial environment.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.
- Job Location
- Bethesda, Maryland, United States
- Position Type