University or Organization: Georgetown University
Job Location: District of Columbia, USA
Web Address: https://linguistics.georgetown.edu/
Job Title: Director of MA in Language and Communication
Job Rank: Director; Other
Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics; Ethnography, Institutional Discourse
The Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University invites applications for Director of its MA in Language and Communication (MLC), a professionally-oriented program in sociolinguistics that prepares students for careers in a wide range of fields, professional as well as academic. For more information about the MLC, please refer to our website: https://mlc.linguistics.georgetown.edu/
The Director of the MLC is responsible for all key aspects of this program:
– Web and social media presence;
– Admissions; orientation; academic and professional advising;
– Development and execution of professional development activities/workshops;
– Monitoring of academic progress through degree (along with the departmental Director of Graduate Studies);
– Alumni outreach and networking;
– Community and professional outreach regarding linguistics in the professions.
In addition to the above-listed administrative and professional activities, the Director teaches two courses each academic year in the department (1-1 teaching load).
The appointment is for a three-year term beginning academic year 2018-21, with the possibility of renewal, and will start August 1, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter, to be determined by the search committee and successful candidate. Applicants must have completed all requirements for the PhD degree by the time of the appointment.
The ideal candidate is a scholar with a strong background in sociolinguistics, particularly ethnographic or discourse analytic approaches, who is passionate about the relevance of sociolinguistic insights for real-world challenges, including those within business, education, healthcare, legal, media, and governmental contexts. Candidates should have experience in both academia and the world outside it; an innovative, interdisciplinary research agenda; teaching experience and evidence of excellence in that domain; and experience in program administration.
Applications should be sent in a single pdf via email to Heidi E. Hamilton at application email provided below and should be received by midnight EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) Friday, July 13, 2018.
Applications should include a:
– A brief statement of research interests, teaching qualifications, and your specific interest in the administration of the MLC program;
– One representative publication; and
– Names and contact information for three references.
– Please write “APPLICATION FOR MLC DIRECTOR POSITION” in the subject line of your message.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or other categories protected by law.
Application Deadline: 13-Jul-2018
Email Address for Applications: hamilthegeorgetown.edu
Professor Heidi E. Hamilton