Come and be part of the Amazon Artificial Intelligence (AI) team! Amazon Web Services is building speech and language solutions to serve the needs of customers around the world. We’re working hard, having fun, and making history — come join us!
The AWS Artificial Intelligence team is looking for a Language Engineer to join our science and data engineering team in the area of speech and Natural Language Understanding (NLU). We are seeking a candidate with strong analytical skills and language technology experience to help us measure, analyze and solve complex problems. In this role, you will support a range of data collection and annotation efforts, monitor accuracy, velocity and throughput, and be a key member in new feature development.
- Provide day-to-day coordination of data collection and annotation efforts, including planning, scheduling, and reporting
- Measure and analyze accuracy, quality and throughput of annotated data
- Contribute to the design of new data collection methods and new annotation schemas to cover new areas and languages
- Write grammars and build FSTs
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers on data collection and feature design efforts
- Handle competing requests from a range of data customers
- Master’s or higher degree in Linguistics or a related field
- 4+ years of experience in computational linguistics, language data processing, psycholinguistics, semantics, or syntax
- Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
- Experience working with speech and text language data in multiple languages
- Fluency in a major European language, such as Spanish
- Experience with database queries (SQL) and data analysis scripting languages (R, Python, etc.), and using Unix shell scripts in the command line
- Ph.D. in a Linguistics or related area
- Experience with statistical methods and strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
- Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessary
- Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.