Editorial Intern, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Program
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position is responsible for providing assistance to the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion team through a range of tasks that support the VP of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in the commission, planning, and production of print and multimedia content for Earthjustice.
This is a 2019 part-time internship that requires a minimum of 20 hours of work per week. Hours are flexible. We will be offering a stipend based on the number of hours worked.
Below is a general timeline for the application deadlines and duration of the Editorial Diversity, Equity and Inclusion internship. Applicants are accepted year-round.
Internship Duration: January through June
Application Deadline: December 15, 2018
Internship Duration: June through September
Application Deadline: May 24, 2019
Internship Duration: September through December
Application Deadline: August 23, 2019
Internship Duration: three months
- Serve as a regular contributor to the DEI program’s print and electronic publications, such as blogs, e-newsletter and our intranet site.
- Assists in providing updates to internal website content.
- Assist the DEI team in raising the profile of Earthjustice’s diversity, equity and inclusion’s content through our intranet site.
- Participate in brainstorms on the development of DEI workgroup objectives, initiatives and other storytelling projects.
- We require applicants to be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program. They should be passionate about diversity, equity, and inclusion and social justice issues and have exposure to previous DEI work, though professional work experience is not required.
- Knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion principles.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Applicants should have excellent writing, organizational, and communication skills, and be an independent, motivated worker.
- Critical thinker, highly competent at understanding, distilling, and effectively communicating complex issues to a diverse audience.
- Exceptional online research skills, especially in data collection, fact-checking and image searches.
- Excellent command of vocabulary, spelling, grammar and writing skills, including demonstrated experience writing effective print and online collateral.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple assignments to meet publication deadlines with minimal supervisory oversight.
- Strong collaborator.
- Proven willingness to seek appropriate direction and guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the confidence to interact effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Professional, positive and approachable attitude.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, and resume specifying which internship time frame they are interested in (Winter, Summer, or Fall).
This is not a telecommuting position.
If you’re having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no hard copies, phone calls, or drop-ins.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.