Data & Society is pleased to announce that we are now hiring for a cluster of roles to support our Media Manipulation research initiative, which examines how different groups use the participatory culture of the internet to turn the strengths of a free society into vulnerabilities:
- The Researcher/Ethnographer will conduct a year-long ethnographic research project, located in a field site, that addresses media manipulation.
- The Researcher, Global Media Manipulation Casebook will manage the “Global Media Manipulation Casebook”; a research platform that historicizes the tools, tactics, and techniques of groups who seek to game sociotechnical systems for profit, politics, or fun.
- The Researcher, Civil Society Intelligence Unit will manage and facilitate rapid response to disinformation campaigns.
- The Engagement Lead will spearhead outreach and engagement efforts for MMI, and will be a crucial part of Data & Society efforts to provide news organizations, civil society, platforms, and policymakers with insights into new forms of media manipulation.
- The Data Engineer will act as a data steward for the team, collecting, organizing, and making useful data sets from various platforms that we use every day to conduct our research.
- Finally, the Research Initiative Manager will be an administrative lead for the team, managing day-to-day operations, schedules, and budgets, and generally ensuring smooth sailing for the complex set of activities we are undertaking.