Engineering Linguist [Contract Position]We are seeking extraordinary talent to work alongside machine learning researchers, software engineers, data experts, and product managers to build out LinkedIn’s Economic Graph — our knowledge bases about economic entities like professions, companies, and skills. This work drives all of the products at LinkedIn so that we can create economic opportunity for professionals everywhere.
Our ideal candidate will be native speakers of English / German / French / Spanish / Brazil / Portuguese/ Chinese / Japanese) who are passionate about applying his or her expertise to increase the accuracy and coverage of the systems that we use to process information from jobs and members. This position is a full-time contractor role up to one year at our office in Mountain View, CA.
Responsibilities of this roleIn this role, you will create, enrich, and validate our knowledge bases and taxonomies by creating new knowledge and evaluating how that knowledge helps in practice. These include tasks like the following:
- Identifying systematic relationships between concepts such as job titles, skills, certificates, etc.
- Researching, classifying, and annotating the phrases, terms, and data in messy, user-generated data
- Research new entity categories and best practices for organizing them
- Leverage external resources like Wikipedia and standards to enrich and organize our data
- Create instructions for outsourced evaluations, for example with Figure Eight
- Evaluate the output of machine learning classifiers and internal tools
- Native speaker of English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin or Japanese
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- Strong problem solving and conceptual thinking skills
- Analytical skills in your languages with high attention to detail
- Willingness to learn technical concepts and new tools and a keen interest in technology
- Comfortable working with unclear classification rules or on unfamiliar topics
- Ability to prioritize and explain decisions
- BS/BA Degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Library and Information Science, Philosophy, Experimental Psychology, Mathematics, or related discipline.
- 1+ years of experience with taxonomy work, search, controlled vocabularies, and/or linguistic annotation
- Ability to understand and apply complex task-specific instructions with minimal supervision
- Understand the tradeoffs involved in making classification decisions
- Practical experience with the messiness of user-generated content
- Knowledge of semantics, dictionary building, controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, and/or ontologies
- Knowledge of tools for natural language processing and/or Figure Eight
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, Java, SQL
- MS or PhD in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Library and Information Science, Philosophy, Experimental Psychology, Mathematics, or related discipline.