2019 User Experience Researcher, Contract
Position: User Researcher
Comcast Technology, Product & Experience
Location: Philadelphia, PA; Comcast Technology Center
Reports to: Sr. Manager, User Research
Comcast is looking for an enthusiastic User (UX) Researcher to support our highly respected internal user research practice. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a well-respected and collaborative in-house User Research team, translating insights to highly engaged and motivated stakeholders within a major corporation while working on products and services that impact millions of customers.
The User Research team employs a variety of techniques including concept and usability testing in our in-house labs, field research in customers’ homes, remote testing, surveys, industry research reviews and more to gather data and develop insights critical to improving our customers’ experience with our products. We work closely with experience design, product, business and engineering teams to identify opportunities for research. Our work touches multiple platforms including digital interfaces (online, mobile and TV), print artifacts, industrial design, packaging and service design initiatives.
User Research Facilitation and Synthesis (90%)
- Collaborate in the design of research studies that span the product lifecycle from discovery to usability; draft and present research plans.
- Lead and/or participate in primary research studies with customers including:
- Discussion guide development, participant recruitment, and preparation of testing materials and prototypes by other teams.
- Moderate and observe studies in our in-house user research labs and in the field to gain first-hand knowledge of user behaviors.
- Analyze findings and synthesize findings with past relevant research, market research and other secondary sources to strengthen and reinforce the output of studies.
- Translate research insights into actionable recommendations and direction.
- Perform activities such as heuristic reviews, industry and market research summaries and competitive reviews.
- Deliver data and insights from all activities and studies in presentations and readouts.
- Contribute to development of UX models and frameworks based on direct user evidence.
- Encourage members of design, business, and product teams to be involved as partners in studies to gain first-hand knowledge of user behaviors, mental models and needs.
Research Practice Development (10%)
- Contribute to a team toolkit of research methods, techniques and publications that showcase subject matter expertise.
- Assist in continuous development and optimization of research team processes, materials and equipment.
- Maintain currency with the UX research field; share industry knowledge and best practices.
- Ensure a positive, collaborative cross-functional team atmosphere.
- Degree in Psychology, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Digital Media, Human Factors, Cognitive Science related discipline or equivalent experience. Masters degree a plus.
- 1–3 years experience planning, conducting, analyzing and reporting on user studies for discovery and evaluation; comfortable facilitating interviews.
- Familiarity with a range of user research methods used to gather qualitative and quantitative data (contextual interviews, formative and summative usability testing, focus groups, diary studies, card sorting, survey development, secondary research analysis, competitive analysis, etc.)
- Experience using remote usability tools such as usertesting.com or UserZoom is a plus.
- Familiarity testing with prototypes (rough drafts and sketches, paper prototypes, working prototypes) and live builds. Experience with rapid, iterative prototype testing is a plus.
- Deep understanding of heuristics for user interfaces and experience conducting heuristic evaluations.
- Analytical problem-solving skills, outstanding writing and presentation skills; comfortable presenting to a group.
- Experience with MORAE, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office; experience with rendering and editing video a plus.
- Ability to organize and prioritize while working on multiple, simultaneous projects of varied size and complexity.
- Desire to continually stay current with technology, trends, tools and industry standards in UX, usability and user research.
- Experience in Information Architecture a plus.
- Experience in customer-facing digital media projects a plus.
- Experience and/or passion for smart home, IoT a plus.
Some travel will be required for field research as needed.
This is a contract position.