Nextdoor is built on the idea that the neighborhood is one of the most important communities in an individual’s life. We strive to be a place that neighbors everywhere come to build deeper connections, stay in the know, and help each other in their daily lives. There has never been a more important time to build strong, local community. Join our innovative, diverse, and welcoming team, and help us empower neighbors around the world.
Nextdoor seeks a Head of International Communications to lead its international communication team and support the company’s rapid global growth and adoption. This position will report to Nextdoor’s Head of Communications and Policy and will oversee Nextdoor’s growing team of communications leaders around the world, working closely with Nextdoor’s leadership team, including CEO Sarah Friar and country managers and communications leads in UK, Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, and Canada, with many more to come. This leader will be a motivating force to others, develop positive relationships with cross-functional teams, partner with external resources and be able to roll up their sleeves and manage the details to secure coverage that influences all forms of media. What’s more, Nextdoor is a consumer brand and this person must exhibit strong consumer communications skills to continue to elevate Nextdoor as the essential local app, connecting neighbors to the services and people who matter most in their daily lives.
The position is based in San Francisco, California. Given the scope of the role, frequent international travel is required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead strategic communications, working with country managers and in-market communications leads to drive a proactive strategy to elevate Nextdoor as the essential local app and convey Nextdoor’s vision and value proposition across geographies.
- Work closely with the product team to support product launches globally.
- Recommend, execute and measure the effectiveness of grassroots and digital marketing campaigns to support product teams.
- Ensure brand consistency at a local level by developing and executing messaging that is tailored to each market.
- Manage crisis communications – exhibit good judgment, have smart positioning, proactively prepare “battle plans” and be able to weather the storm and lead others under pressure.
- Cultivate and maintain deep relationships with business press, consumer media, key industry opinion leaders and external stakeholders.
- Build and support a team culture that encourages sound judgment and discipline when supporting the corporate narrative; guide the product teams to use this judgment when determining the communications endeavors that are additive and ones that are not.
- Ensure that Nextdoor key messaging, narratives and FAQs scale to international teams and that key in-market spokespeople have received appropriate media training.
- Work with Finance and HR teams to ensure our teams and agencies are set with the budgets and resources they need to scale.
- Serve as a senior leader in the company, interacting with the executive team and country managers across the world.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned storyteller and business-oriented communicator with a strong belief in Nextdoor’s mission. S/he will have a proven track record in media relations, product communications and crisis/reputation management on a global and local level.
Additional experience and qualifications include:
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to leverage media campaigns and content creation to generate increased awareness for Nextdoor to wide range of audiences.
- A global mindset and prior experience in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment.
- Ability to see the bigger picture and use creativity to innovate in the new media landscape.
- Experience supporting product launches domestically and abroad.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English or related field
- 10-12+ years of experience in communications
- International / non-U.S. experience is required (international assignment or otherwise) and experience managing and leading international teams.
- Experience executing media campaigns, crisis communications, building relationships with media and working with executives
- Experience managing corporate issues project management
- Experience managing agencies, and putting in place scalable processes to drive and measure results
- An opportunity to grow communities, solve hard problems, and have a real impact in the world
- Supportive, friendly, and adventurous environment with a team of talented, engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- 100% company-paid health insurance premiums (medical, dental, and vision) for you and your dependents
- Generous paid vacation
- Weekly catered lunches and fully stocked kitchen (all sorts of drinks and snacks), plus catered dinners M-Th
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Personal learning and development stipend
- Inspiring, creatively fulfilling offsites
- Paid volunteer days off
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Health FSA
- 401K plan
About Nextdoor Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It’s the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it’s free. Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home. People are using Nextdoor to: Quickly get the word out about a break-in Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group Track down a trustworthy babysitter Find out who does the best paint job in town Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog Find a new home for an outgrown bike Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name Nextdoor’s mission is to provide a trusted platform where neighbors work together to build stronger, safer, happier communities, all over the world.