The LSA is seeking applications for the position of Student Intern as part of our Secretariat staff team for the Summer 2021 semester (May – August*). This is a great opportunity to learn more about the field of linguistics, the professional needs of LSA members, and the LSA’s broader agenda to advance the scientific study of language. This internship also provides exposure to the workings of a small non-profit organization based in the nation’s capital.
Interns will gain experience with writing, research, database management, social science policy, and a variety of administrative tasks. Please see the position description below for additional details. The position is open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in programs leading to a degree in linguistics or a related field.
This part-time position involves 30 hours of work per week, with a stipend of $7000 for the duration of the semester. Our preference is that the intern spend a portion of their work week in the LSA’s office in Washington, DC, which remains open. Currently, LSA staff are working remotely on selected days, with some presence in the offices as necessary. A private office is available to the intern for their exclusive use, if desired. The remainder of the work may be performed virtually from a remote location of the intern’s choosing.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three academic/professional references to: email@example.com, subject line: “LSA Internship Application.” The deadline for full consideration is April 4, 2021.
Assist the LSA Secretariat with the following projects:
- generating social media posts about the LSA’s programs and activities
- website content management and development
- research and information gathering on a variety of topics (not scholarly in nature)
- database management
- representation at meetings and conferences in the DC metro area
- preparing summaries and analysis of reports and other materials
- assisting with clerical support
- develop and execute one long-term project of particular interest to the incumbent
* Precise start and end dates are flexible, depending on the applicant’s academic schedule, but the duration of the internship should be no less than 12 weeks.