- 117 Adams St., Brooklyn, NY
- Employees can work remotely
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
We are seeking a strategic leader to join Etsy’s People Development team who is dedicated to providing purposeful learning experiences that will expand the minds and skills of our employees.
As the Learning Design & Innovation Sr. Manager, you will champion Etsy’s learning design and innovation strategies to create engaging development experiences that help our talent continuously improve and maximize their contributions to the company and our community.
This is a full-time position located in Brooklyn, NY or San Francisco, CA, reporting to the Director People Development. We offer flexible workplace policies that can accommodate work from home candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2-3 times per week. We’re also open to remote hires within all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the Role
In this role you will:
- Lead the instructional design strategy including the creation of templates, tools, resources and standards that maximize efficiency and impact
- Champion instructional design quality across the organization including imparting and enhancing instructional design skills across the People Development team and acting as a consultant to decentralized learning resources across Etsy
- Promote collaboration, partnership and relationships among the participants and partners in a design project
- Build and develop an experienced team of learning and development designers and forge partnerships with best in class external vendors.
- Manage instructional design resources both internally and externally to ensure learning products come to fruition on time and achieve desired results
- Own Etsy’s learning innovation strategy including the Innovation Lab – a program designed to identify and pilot the latest learning methodologies, approaches, technology and tools to provide a world-class learning experience for our employees and workers
- Implement tailored employee development experiences by assessing our organizational business in relation to employee learning and development, from hire to extended tenure
- Provides leadership and mentoring to future direct reports. Sets expectations and effectively manages team & vendor contributions, performance, and engagement
- Use human-centered design principles to research, create, and prioritize our learning experience roadmap in new and existing content areas aligned to company goals and priorities
- Responsible for all instructional design, development, and creative capability within the team and ensures appropriate resource availability to design, develop and deliver effective training solutions
- Incorporate learner feedback into continuous curriculum improvement.
- Demonstrate strong project management skills and lead, design, and develop large-scale projects with tight deadlines and communicate project updates
- Lead the development of learning programs from scratch, making thoughtful decisions about when to engage quality outside vendors versus when to build internally
- Learn the intricacies of our business environment by developing strong relationships across the company
- Execute with strong project management skills, monitoring work-plans and managing against set goals, knowing what to prioritize and why, knowing who to keep informed and when to call out challenges
- Educate cross-departmental leadership, promoting wide-spread awareness and understanding of instructional design strategy and best practices
- Harness data and tangible outcomes to demonstrate the impact of learning products
- Benchmark validated practices and emerging trends – aligned to macro trends in the world and within the L&D community
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Ideally you’ll bring:
- 7+ years of success building L&D programs for multiple organizations
- 4+ years experience in people management
- Familiarity with leadership development principles, agile methodologies and design-thinking practices preferred
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, redefining those insights into critical decisions
- Ability to clearly package and present sophisticated analyses and recommendations
- Project and partner management abilities, including creating and monitoring goals, prioritizing initiatives, and developing an impactful cadence for updating and educating partners and senior end users
- Experience with project management tools, Learning Management Systems, and various software programs such as Lessonly, Camtasia, Adobe Captivate, Articulate, Elucidat, etc.
- A trust in and commitment to Etsy’s vision, mission and values
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.