The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Senior Editor, Global Advocacy to join the Legal department on a full-time fixed-term contract to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction – that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
The Wikimedia Foundation, the San Francisco-based nonprofit home of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and other free educational projects, serves as the hub of a global movement of hundreds of thousands of contributors collaborating to collect and share the sum of all human knowledge with the world. Wikipedia, the most prominent of the Wikimedia projects, comprises more than 55 million articles in more than 300 languages and is viewed more than 15 billion times each month from around the world.
Wikimedia’s advocacy work is focused on championing everyone’s right to free knowledge online. The Foundation protects users’ privacy and speech, and educates governments and policymakers about the importance of the free and open internet. Wikimedia believes that regardless of location or circumstance, everyone has the right to seek and share knowledge. The Foundation protects the right to speak and learn freely, shaping public policy that opens access to free online knowledge around the globe. Wikimedia defends free expression, and stands up for its users, including helping contributors respond to legal threats relating to their work on Wikimedia projects. The Foundation supports community voices, maintaining the legal protections around the world to allow volunteer contributors to take the lead on editorial decisions. And Wikimedia speaks up for free knowledge and access, increasing awareness of Wikipedia beyond North America and Europe to expand global knowledge participation.
The Senior Editor, Global Advocacy will report to the Vice President, Global Advocacy. In order to support the ability of the team to communicate a clear, accurate and compelling story, the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a seasoned writer and editor expert who is able to manage, coordinate, and edit the team’s communications for diverse audiences of external and internal stakeholders. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible for shaping and leading Global Advocacy communications in collaboration with the team and, as appropriate, with our communications department. While this is a fixed-term contract ending on 30 June 2022, extension or renewal may be possible if funds and budget permit.
You are responsible for:
- Manage Global Advocacy team’s efforts to engage readers with informative and educational material;
- Work with Global Advocacy and Public Policy staff to plan and manage the drafting of op-eds, articles, blog posts, newsletter, web copy, etc;
- Manage the editorial process for the team’s written products from concept development, drafting, review, copy editing, and sign-off;
- Collaborate when necessary with Communications Department staff on press publications emerging from Global Advocacy and Public Policy staff;
- Manage the development and revision of website and social media content, including management of a likely website migration or substantial overhaul;
- Work with Global Advocacy staff to develop consistent tone and style for a newsletter and other regular updates to the Wikimedia community and allies;
- Rewrite text drafted by Global Advocacy staff to improve clarity and readability as well as tone of all writing for internal and external audiences;
- Proofread text and correct spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- Fact check text for accuracy, including dates and statistics;
- Coordinate translations.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience writing and editing content related to global tech policy issues and digital rights advocacy, freedom of expression and privacy;
- At least 3 years’ experience coordinating editorial production;
- Excellent writing skills (including familiarity with AP Style) in English, especially as applied to press communication, blog posts, and other short-form content;
- Proficient proofreader;
- Experience working across digital platforms (websites, mobile, blogs, etc.);
- Ability to maintain focus and detail orientation when processing large amounts of information or copy;
- Ability to collaborate with writers to understand their writing needs and maximize their impact;
- Experience coordinating and executing a substantial overhaul/revision of a website’s content, including working with developers and designers;
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex topics into language that is understandable to broader audiences;
- Experience with pitching ideas to different audiences, with the ability to write compellingly to either professional or lay audiences from diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrated ability to work on tight deadlines.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Experience with, or understanding of, free knowledge, open source, free culture, or other online communities and operates with high sensitivity around culture with the goal to respect, preserve and enhance
- Ability to give and receive feedback in a constructive, collaborative fashion
- Command of other languages is seen as a plus.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.