About the job
The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them. We ask that our team members be physically located in Central European time or Eastern Standard/Daylight time zones for the purposes of our collaboration hours.
We’re looking for a taxonomist to join our team focused on Spotify’s subject matter experts. You’ll help bring coherence to terminology and metadata, supporting recommendation models by applying your expertise in language use and information structures. This is a key role that will collaborate with partners in Editorial, Localization, Machine Learning capabilities, and beyond.
What You’ll Do
- Design a controlled vocabulary
- Negotiate alignment with stakeholders, normalizing multiple sources of terminology
- Create a framework for harvesting new terms as well as a process for governance
- Work with teams to ensure semantic structures represent specialized knowledge and points of view, and have the flexibility to cover a growing set of contexts and domains
- Help teams scale locally and globally
- Provide recommendations for augmenting and evolving editorial/subject matter expert tagging capabilities
- Find opportunities to consult on missions that impact business
- Evangelize and drive the adoption of taxonomies
Who You Are
- Have a degree in linguistics (preferred) or information science
- Experience in developing taxonomy/ontology to support enterprise use cases
- Skilled researcher who can harness knowledge through a variety of methods and sources
- Familiar with approaches to search, content discovery, personalization, and globalization
- A clear communicator who builds relationships and brings others along
Where You’ll Be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location and is within working hours.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration and ask that all be located that time zone.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here .
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 381 million users.
Global COVID and Vaccination Disclosure
Spotify is committed to safety and well-being of our employees, vendors and clients. We are following regional guidelines mandating vaccination and testing requirements, including those requiring vaccinations and testing for in-person roles and event attendance. For the US, we have mandated that all employees and contractors be fully vaccinated in order to work in our offices and externally with any third-parties. For all other locations, we strongly encourage our employees to get vaccinated and also follow local COVID and safety protocols.