The National Geographic Society uses the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world.
Our mission is only complete when our staff, explorers, educators, youth and partners are seen, valued, and heard. We embrace each person’s identity, experiences, and abilities, and we commit to cultivating an environment where everyone benefits from opportunity, mutual respect and a sense of belonging.
We are committed to cultivating an environment that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion for our staff, explorers and educators and partners.
National Geographic’s headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. We offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and parental leave time, a 401(k) plan, flexible work options, career development, and a thriving Diversity, Equity and Inclusion program. In addition to our generous benefits, we also offer unique perks which include free museum admission, discount to our museum store, film screenings, world class events with visiting speakers, an employee volunteer day and a robust wellness program.
How You’ll Contribute
The Storytelling team works to expand the organization’s impact through journalism, photography, film/video, web content, mapping, asset management, and data visualization. As one of the largest funders to individual storytellers in this work, it also identifies key grantmaking, and fellowship opportunities with creative talent. Much of the team’s programmatic activity is focused on identifying and building capacity for the next generation of diverse storytellers.
The Vice President, Storytelling Institute will establish and run National Geographic Society’s Storytelling Institute. This institute will be a revenue-generating center of excellence in storytelling training, reaching broad audiences and contributing resources to NGS’ non-profit mission. This is a hands-on role responsible for strategic and operational work.
- Leadership, Strategic Direction and Team Supervision (45%): Leads the strategic process of imagining, launching and running the storytelling institute for NGS. The institute will serve our Explorer as well as external audiences and will contribute revenue to the Storytelling division. Working closely with The Chief Storytelling Officer, and overseeing a team, the VP ensures that the Institute adheres to the highest standards of National Geographic Storytelling.
- Design Workflow and Business Processes (35%): Responsible for designing and implementing workflows and business processes for the National Geographic Storytelling Institute. This includes a workflow for marketing, contracting, curriculum development and training delivery.
- Internal and External Partnership Management (15%):
- Partner with the Explorer Engagement team to deliver storytelling training to our explorer community.
- Partner with the Storytelling Team to incorporate storytelling talent and technique into the Institute.
- Partner with Advancement to potentially advance philanthropic relationships through the Institute.
- Research (5%): Stay up to date on the newest storytelling, professional learning, and other related fields as appropriate for the Institute.
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Film, or Business Development. MBA preferred.
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
- 15+ years’ experience in business development or start-up management.
- Management within a media, educational, or storytelling environment desired.
- Experience in designing and launching a business or core business function.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Expertise leading a diverse team
- Experience running a distinct PNL with a proven track record or profitability
- Expertise working across interdisciplinary teams and managing multiple stakeholders
- Experience in the educational, storytelling, or media industries.
3+ direct reports
Hybrid – This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday).
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.