Video Resources (links):
Listen to a Podcast
Career and Professional Development Books:
- Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur – Pamela Slim
- Breaking Out: How to Build Influence in a World of Competing Ideas – John Buttman
- All in Startup: Launching a new idea when Everything is on the Line – Diana Kander
- Crazy is a Compliment: The Power of Zigging When Everyobne Zags – Linda Rottenberg
- Leap First: Creating Work that Matters – Seth Godin
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action – Simon Sinek
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On – Jonah Berger
- Imagine: How Creativity Works – Jonah Lehrer
- The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age – Reid Hoffman, Ben Casnocha
- Social: Why our Brains are Wired to Connect – Matthew Lieberman
- Body of Work- Finding the Thread That Ties Your Story Together – Pamela Slim
FURTHER READING “The linguist vs polyglot gaffe” (web article): http://goo.gl/mVLxIO “Why linguists hate being asked how many languages they know.” All Things Linguistics (blog): http://allthingslinguistic.com/post/48473292525/why-linguists-hate-being-asked-how-many-languages
Join a Community
Linguistics Beyond Academia
A special interest group that promotes linguists that are outside academia.
Career Interviews (with Linguists!) on Linguamonium: https://linguamonium.com
Online Course For Professional Development: http://plusacumen.org/courses/
How and why do we use LinkedIn?: http://www.slideshare.net/annamtrester/linkend-in-ppt-25120299
What can you do with a career in linguistics?: http://www.slideshare.net/annamtrester/what-can-you-do-with-a-degree-in-linguistics-31480200?ref=https://cdn.embedly.com/widgets/media.html?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slideshare.net%2Fslideshow%2Fembed_code%2F31480200&src_secure=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slideshare.net%2Fannamtrester%2Fwhat-can-you-do-with-a-degree-in-linguistics-31480200&image=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.slidesharecdn.com%2Fss_thumbnails%2Fwhat-20can-20you-20do-20with-20a-20degree-20in-20linguistics-3f-140221080732-phpapp01-thumbnail-4.jpg%3Fcb%3D1392991695&key=b7276e97d3f840f38fbdb95eb1242b10&type=text%2Fhtml&schema=slideshare
Nancy Frishberg is the manager of user research at Financial Engines: http://www.portigal.com/tag/dollars-to-donuts/
A tremendous resource from Victoria University Wellington: Career View – Linguistics
Want to explore careers broadly, and learn about informational interviewing while you are at it? Check out Careers Out There a collection of interviews from a range of industries and professional worlds.
"Inspiring, engaging, and empowering"
Anna Marie’s published books are a must read for anyone interested in pursuing a career in linguistics.