Fall 2017 Edition of Career (Linguist) Camp
Nov 6th – Dec 15th
WHAT: Career Camp is five weeks of focused activities and structured feedback on the stories used in career interactions. Each week we will focus on a different story from the professional self-presentation genres (resume, “about us,” elevator pitches. etc.). Gear up for the New Year and be ready to hit the ground running with your jobsearch with a resume that blows their SOQs off, cover letters that speak to why THEY need you, and pocket examples that show the WHY of your work!
HOW: This group’s most important function is to help its members break down the process of career exploration into small, manageable pieces and to make progress as part of a community. By bringing our linguistic ways of listening to paying attention to one another’s stories, we help one another to see what our stories are doing for us, and crucially, how much more our stories can be doing for us! Weekly activities will focus on bringing a linguistic lens to the stories which comprise the texts and interactions surrounding the job search:
- At the beginning of each week you will find a video mini-lecture with activity instructions
- Orientation – WHY are you here? (week of Nov 6)
- 2nd week –story approach to career (week of Nov 13)
- 3rd week – story listening (week of Nov 20)
- 4th week – story finding (week of Dec 4)
- 5th week – story telling (week of Dec 11)
- On Fridays, we will gather around the campfire to discuss what you have been working on. Each participant will get a chance to share, get, and give feedback and support / share ideas with their fellow campers, and ask questions.
- To close out the series, everyone gets a final one-on-one with Anna Marie
Expected weekly commitment: 4-5 hours / Cost for the series: $250
WHO and WHY: We linguists see solutions to puzzles, we see patterns in chaos, we are not afraid of ambiguity – all of which can (and should) be brought to the challenges which face our world – in short: we can bring linguistics to work. Career Camp has been designed by Anna Marie Trester, Career Linguist, author of Bringing Linguistics to Work to help linguists explore and educate themselves about careers to be equipped to do just that!! You chose linguistics because you were passionate about the possibility and the power of language, so why not creatively seek wide application of these as well as your powerful analytical skills and problem-solving? By the end of camp, your pack will be filled with all the tools that you will need to get on out and navigate the next steps of your career journey! You will even have done some thinking about your map and met some fellow travelers to help you along the way: Here’s to what’s next!
To sign up now – put “Career Camp Fall 2017” into your basket on my booking page here
For more info, and to help me spread the word:
Questions? Contact Career Linguist
Attend a Career Camp Information Session